1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and there are no special requirements.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help!
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fidget Spinners For Smart People

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by BudBudderly, Jun 16, 2017.

1. BudBudderly

BudBudderly Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Fidget_spinner.jpg

Fidget spinners have become an ubiquitous toy/distraction in the U.S. lately and have been banned in many schools. This got me to thinking about what type of stress-relieving toys you might find in a school for the gifted:

Future experimental physicists:

Future mechanical engineers:

Can you come up with some of your own?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    AguirresPriest likes this.

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Also for physicists or mathematicians:

3. Hapax

Hapax Active Member IQ: 130+

My mom absolutely can't stand it if a disk falls like this, so the obvious thing for me to do right now is to send her this video :D

BudBudderly and Nico like this.
  4. Bright1

Bright1 Active Member Claimed IQ: 150+

Why wouldn't they be exactly the same toys you'd find elsewhere? Having a high IQ and being smart are two different things. Intelligent people can be, and oftentimes are, very stupid.
    Therefore I submit the spit wad for the future police and privates, and pirates and pilots. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

BudBudderly likes this.
  5. BudBudderly

For a future chaos theorist:

For a future surgeon:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    AtomEpsilon, Cornucopia and Hapax like this.
  6. Veku

Veku Active Member Unclaimed IQ

Fidget spinners are great toys for frustration relief. Other than the ones mentioned in the thread, you are bound to find - books, music, vibrating feet, scribbling pens, gym equipment, and perhaps adamantium claws in the right school.

Moloch likes this.
  7. WheatieMuncher

WheatieMuncher Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

IMG_0300.JPG

Veku and Moloch like this.
  8. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

I thought fidget spinners are the latest tamagotchi egg being shoved down my throat.

Srsly does anyone of you possess such an item bought from a store?

I recommend social interaction and sport against stress.

Btw I recommend quidditch in case all adamantium class are occupied by the freshmen ;)

Edit: Jo-Jos are not in anymore are they? Maaaan, they had some cool advertisements on tv .... wooooah forget about quidditch that's lame. Take a good hard look at this kid with the jojo ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Cornucopia likes this.
  9. Mohsin

Mohsin Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

My 10 year old nephew has a fidget spinner. He has ADHD and has been in the gifted program in his school since the age of 5. He lives in New Jersey.

When I am doing a task that requires consistent focus over a consideration amount of time, I use a pair of dice and move them around with my left hand.

10. Cornucopia

Cornucopia Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Wasn't the fidget spinner (or the fidget cube) invented as a distraction for individuals with OCD? I have no idea why it is now main stream, being sold as a gift for gifted kids.

11. Mohsin

It apparently helps if the child has ADHD.

12. Cornucopia

Cornucopia Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

I doubt it :cautious: How would that work?

13. Mohsin

I'm also a bit doubtful of their significance. I just did a 'pubmed' search and was unable to retrieve any scientific articles in which the effects of fidget spinners were assessed and evaluated in children with ADHD. The mechanism by which they are thought to help is by 'pre-training' the child to focus before performing a task that requires concentration. My nephew uses it to mentally prepare himself to focus and it seems to work quite well with him. However, as for the scientific basis behind how it helps, there is nothing known about it simply because they haven't been studied. It sounds more like a marketing strategy to increase sales, rather than anything else. America reports the most number of cases of children diagnosed with ADHD each year; it has been suggested that diagnosing ADHD in the US is excessive to the point that many children are misdiagnosed because of the 'pill-pushing' culture. From a marketing standpoint, the US is likely to be profitable in boosting sales of such gadgets because the excessive cases of ADHD in the general population is staggering high; hence a 'gold-mine' for profiteers to target.

Creedinger likes this.
  14. BudBudderly

That's true, whether we are smart or stupid, as human beings we have common problems and could all benefit from time spent with a fidget spinner or two: