1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many hours would you like to work?

Discussion in 'Work and Education' started by Creedinger, Oct 11, 2017.

?

How many hours per week would you work?

1. 40h - no change

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 40-30h

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 30-20h

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. 20-10h

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 10-0.30h

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 0h - Every day is a sunday for you.

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

Hello everyone,

This thread was not started in the Success and Life decisions sub forum since it is also about work and I want everyone to be able to read it :p

Let's assume you are an employee and have a neutral stance towards your work - from no on in will leave the away the stupid "Let's assume".

On the one hand you do it for the money but on the other hand work is interesting to some degree but you can easialy imagine better things to do with your time.

You make around 60k monetary units (mu) a year with a 40h/week job as this is assumed by some to be somewhat around the border value when making more money alone does not increase experienced life quality.

Your employer offers you to chose the hours per week you want to work and your pay will be reduced equivalently to your reduction.

You need minimally 12k mu per year to afford all necessary things to have: Medical insurance, a small flat in a middle class living area, tv, cellphone, free education, access to public libraries, computer/internet, free transportation (country only) and food, of course - that's it. There won't be any change in that during your lifetime.

With those 60k mu, you can afford all the things you want for yourself and your family - of course your jobs is a money machine as you chose it wisely and 60k are really a lot of money in your destination.

How many hours per week would you chose based on what criteria, assumptions and thoughts ... or whatever your mom told you about it.

I'm very interested in your response since I just made up that my mom told me her theory about it and will state later in case you are interested.

2. JeffBradt

JeffBradt Member Unclaimed IQ

If the work is interesting, I wouldn't mind doing it for 20 or so hours a week. I probably would work this much because I wanted the money.

Creedinger likes this.
  3. TheGreat

TheGreat Active Member Claimed IQ: 130+

money is a social construct, just an element to satisfy our greed but it's also very essential in our society and also very important on an economical scale as a means of trade and commerce.

I do not wish to work for money, matter of fact I don't mind earning minimum wage as long as I enjoy my job.

4. Preacherbob

Preacherbob Well-Known Member Unclaimed IQ

It is a shame that the word "work" is so well tied to "employment". It should be a life choice however temporary or permanent it might be and each life choice should be a thing a person wishes to do rather than has to do it.

I am retired from the practical employment force and also a retired entrepreneur.
    Each avenue (except going to war) I took during my adult life was about something I wished to do so I can easily say that my life was my work and my work was my life. The hours nor the money made any difference because the more I enjoy doing something, the more I do it. The added bonus to that thought process is that the more I did something the more I learned and then of course the more money I made.
    I have never really had to ask for more hours due to a money problem. I was always given more hours because I am good at what I do and enjoy it. When I went on salary (several times) there was nearly always a bonus so again, the money was never a problem.

It also helps to have an ego and a drive to excel at whatever I do, which...........I definitely do!

5. Creedinger

Yes, I totally agree with this stance and want to make clear that the vote is regarding word done as an employee.
    In fact one aspect of working only 10 hours or so would be that more time can be spent on own work projects.

In case one worked in a job which was very fullfilling then the question makes absolutly no sense as one would do this kind of work anyways (or comparable work). This is why I assumed a job, which does not provide the fullfillment (but at the same time is not VERY boring in a way that one COULD NOT do the job).

As payment and prices are very different all across the world I tried to specify the comodities a person has when earning 12k (the TV is unnecesarry in my opinion but is regarded necessary according to the minimal standard of living in Germany - which I wrote down)

Preacherbob likes this.
  6. Preacherbob

Okay, again, I am lost @Creedinger.
    Other than what we "wish to do" as far as wage hours there is a definite difference than what we have to do in order to maintain the government social programs that exist.
    The present tax bracket in Germany for 12K a year is 15% +. 52K garners 42% and 250K and over gives up 45%.

I realize that no one ever goes out looking for work just to support the government in general but if everyone only needed to work 20 hours and received 12K a year (11 or so beans an hour) , it would seem that every program that you might have tied to medical, commodities or welfare programs would be broke in a matter of a couple of days.

BUT, let us set all that aside because that is not why I am lost. If someone spends 12 years in school and then goes into a university or college and graduates and still doesn't realize what he or she enjoys doing except playtime then it seems that all of that education is rather fruitless and a huge loss of expense.
    I am presently retired but I still work and still make money the same way I always have: doing what I enjoy doing and being productive at the same time. A person can only plant so many posies or play so much golf until life is meaningless unless of course those are your vocations of choice.

I am anxious to find out what your mother said......................:)

7. Cornucopia

Cornucopia Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Should be an option for more hours.

Preacherbob likes this.
  8. Preacherbob

It's funny really. There might have been some times when I wasn't scheduled for more than 40 hours but I really can't recall such an event. My normal week was always between 50 to 100 hours a week and except for the holidays, I enjoyed all of it. Two x-wives didn't like it but they did like the money...........................

JeffBradt and Cornucopia like this.
  9. Kegs

Kegs Active Member Unclaimed IQ

Work? what the hell do we have robots for?

JeffBradt, Moloch and Preacherbob like this.
  10. Creedinger

However, I would have replied that I was not talking about Germany or any existing system.

Maybe one studies for interest and is already aware that studies do not qualify for a job.
    Not everyone went to school for 12 years and then graduated from college.

Yes, I agree but there are many things besides work for which one gets money, which are worth doing, so the question is still relevant - family, research, religion, philosophy, sports ....).

I have the problemt hat I enjoy my job very much but also want to spend as much time as possible with my wife and daughter. This is why the question occurred to me but supporting a family makes the problem even more complicated :)

JeffBradt likes this.
  11. Preacherbob

That's being a little picky now isn't it? Of course people study for other reasons than those involving a vocation. I am nearly 70 and I still study those things that interest me but then, everything interests me at one time or another. :)
    And yes, there are many people who do not go through 12 years of school and then go to college. The world is full of people that do not but in the U.S. those people are either doing what they love doing or are pretty much stuck doing whatever for many more hours than 20 or 30. Alas, even the U.S. military is limiting it's recruitment to high school diplomas and up.

The point I was trying to make is simple: I KNOW a man with an engineering degree who is a professional waiter. He still kicks himself for wasting so many years and money on something he will never use in the corporate world. I know another man who has a liberal arts degree and washes dishes which is what he plans to do for the rest of his life. Both of them work for 40 or more hours a week and enjoy doing it.
    I do not have to understand it but my question is why?

Spending more time with the family is always a hard one. There is a fine line between working too much and being away from your family and the other side of the coin, being remembered for being able to provide everything your family needs and even being able to set aside some funds for your children's education and yes....your retirement with your wife. My dad was a jerk but that said, he provided us with all of our needs and a little more.

Perhaps a stay at home type of job would be in order or even begin your own business which might include your family? A good business is a fine legacy for your off spring if they are already well schooled in it and enjoy it.
    Maybe I am rushing you a bit by asking you to think too far ahead. I do wish at times that we were born old and worked our selves to achieve whatever and then as we grew younger were able to enjoy our fruits a tad more. But that's another subject for the psychologist.............:)

JeffBradt likes this.
  12. JeffBradt

JeffBradt Member Unclaimed IQ

I am a physics undergraduate at a university so that I can hopefully get a master's or even a doctorate and secure an enjoyable job. I don't even care very much that it pays so well. I would be happy having a job I liked so much and only earning 60k/year. A Master of Physics earns more like 95k normally, but I probably will take fewer hours due to my disability, so maybe I will earn more like 60k. Like I say, that's fine. I just want to support my wife-to-be and her son with something other than government aid.

Preacherbob likes this.
  13. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

I wouldn't mind working 80 hours per week if I loved my job ... If I hated my job, ONE hour per week would be too much!

Moloch, Preacherbob and JeffBradt like this.
  14. Preacherbob

Said in as few words as possible...........exactly!

15. Preacherbob

From my understanding, 60K in New York isn't a lot to ask for. Physics guys get around the mid 6 figure mark at places such as the Red Stone Arsenal. There are about 1000 Army troops stationed there and close to 40K civilian techs. My stepdaughter works on simulators and knocks down 6 figures.
    The economy is better also. A 200K house in New York is more in the neighborhood of 80K around the arsenal. I just rented a house to a man from Virginia who was amazed at the price difference. A $600 house around the arsenal is comparable to a 2K house per month in Virginia.
    And yes, everything is based on 40+ hours a week.

16. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

My current job... 28 hours a week would be ideal. 4*7. I seriously like it, but I also love spending time with Mrs. Moloch and the Molochspawn. I work 36 though... need more money.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Preacherbob likes this.
  17. Creedinger

What is paid overtime? - asks the German :)
    I am seriously thinking about going part time. I love my job but not all the time. There are so many things one can do and so many things one can discover.
    As my job can be performed by someone else I also do not have the "omg if I won't do it nobody can" motivation.

18. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

Well, if you can make a living by working part time, why not do it?
    Oh, overtime - well, that's extra money that one gets if one works more than 40 hours in one week, usually 1.5 times one's hourly rate. Only those workers who receive an hourly rate get overtime. Salaried employees do not get overtime ... Most companies work hard to make sure that their non-salaried employees don't even get 40 hours per week, never mind get overtime. You see, 40 hour work weeks trigger full-time employee benefits, so a lot of people get only 36 hours per week, keeping them at "part-time" status regarding benefits.

Moloch likes this.
  19. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

Different country, different rules. 36 hours is full-time where I work and I get overtime if *asked* to work outside office hours.

20. Creedinger