1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Talents?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Cassandra, Jun 21, 2016.

1. mathogre

mathogre Active Member IQ: 130+

I grocery shop. I get the watermelon thing. Here are two odd things I do.

I buy undented canned goods. When a can has a label on it, I will rotate it in my hands and rub them all over the can. If there's a hidden dent, it goes back on the shelf. To an onlooker, it probably appears as if I'm feeling up the cans, which I am, but if it's going in my grocery cart, it has better be in good shape.

I check dates on everything. Sometimes the stock on the shelves will be properly rotated, so the newer products are toward the back. I get the newer products.

2. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

That's more an odd habit than odd talent ... Canned food is actually good for decades, even a century or more.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/26/167819082/dont-fear-that-expired-food

3. mathogre

mathogre Active Member IQ: 130+

Ahhh... but I used to work in a grocery store. A good can is fine. A dented can may be compromised. In the past there were certain brands that were typically dented, but those days seem to be mostly in the past. Regardless, I'll accept it to be a habit. :D

To be updated... Updated.

If you were talking about the dates, for cans and packaged food, that's a fussy habit of mine. I have found expired food on the shelves though, and while the npr link makes sense, I'm not buying "expired" food. The dates make more sense on perishable such as dairy products, packaged produce, and packaged meats. I'll even say I adjust based on the store for certain products. If it isn't reasonably fresh, it isn't leaving the store with me.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    BK201 likes this.
  4. WheatieMuncher

WheatieMuncher Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

Purchasing fast food orders that come out to $6.66.

Genesis and Moloch like this.
  5. Nico

Nico Active Member IQ: 140+

A lot of animals do listen to me. For example if there is a dog or a cat at a friends house, I normally can call them to me, even if they see me the first time. Sometimes I can even call cats to me that I see outside. As a kid I once called a goat so that she follows me while hiking on a mountain and she followed me until we were at my parents car, which was over an hour away. My parents never said anything, because I was a bit slower than them (goats are normally slower than humans and I obviously did want that the goat is able to keep up with me) and they did not think that the goat would follow me this far.

6. Solaire

Solaire Active Member IQ: 140+

I tend to reduce the number of socks that I own every time I do the laundry. :oops:

marom and Nico like this.
  7. Genesis

Genesis Active Member Claimed IQ: 150+

A pun? :LOL: :p

8. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

I can grab my chest with my hands and then applause with my elbows ;)

9. Nico

Not intentionally.

Genesis likes this.
  10. Genesis

Hard to believe, perhaps, but I understand animals when they "talk"... and more clearly when they don't make sounds. I've been able to do it since I was a toddler.

(When I was five, I realized people would think I was nuts... Only now, since I've retired, have I developed my ability. I suppose I'm waiting for "Devine intervention" that will allow me to use this ability... I typed out some of my experiences, but decided not to post it. I saved it on my PC... Maybe I'll post it later... or by popular demand. :LOL:)

Moloch and Joe like this.
  11. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

Oeh oeh oeh ... Falling asleep in a driving car within one minute after it starts driving is one of my odder talents. I found it a very good way to pass time on long drives.

12. Nico

Hope you are not driving yourself:ROFLMAO:

Genesis likes this.
  13. Genesis

My thoughts, exactly. :ROFLMAO: His real talent would be not crashing! :LOL:

14. Nico

This would be more like a superpower :D

Genesis likes this.
  15. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

No matter what a parent does ... there will be the Phase ( and any one of us Knows it - moloch might have suppressed this ) when children in cars find the most joy in probing their parents patience ... how deep is your sleep moloch?

16. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

No, when I drive I don't fall asleep and then there's always Mrs. Moloch to tag me out if I do get tired. She is hyperaware and doesn't sleep unless she wants to.

Oh, the Molochspawn try our patience for sure. It is in the nature of children to find their boundaries and they are really good at probing 100% of the time and very open to a discussion of definitions... even at 3 AM. I've seen them completely take over grandparents and neighbours as they have no real defence against this. My daughter can and will bombard you with questions and commentary, she hears all conversation in the house, has an acute mental map of what everyone says (and said) related to rules, promises and past events and if you make a comment she does not understand she will be right in front of you or tugging on your arm or whatever and questioning you like the spanish inquisition. It is awesome and exhausting at the same time. Where other parents complain about stolen cookies we have to explain ours do not steal cookies, they will try to discuss the law of the house untill they are allowed cookies and will come up with half a dozen equally well thought-out (but still irrelevant) reasons why cookies would be fitting at that point in time. They're quite happy to try again next day, or week, or two years later, remembering the event or cicrcumstances that led to getting a cookie at a certain place in time, to try and recreate the circumstances through debate and reasoning.

Lately they've begun reading comic books. We encourage them to bring comic books into the car. This makes for quiet drives.

AguirresPriest likes this.