1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paranormal

Discussion in 'Psychology and Sociology' started by Vince, Sep 15, 2016.

?

Have you ever had a paranormal/supernatural experience?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. No

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. CaptHavoc

CaptHavoc Member Claimed IQ: 130+

Sorry for a late answer. I've been in a state of hibernation over the holidays.

I'm with you there.

As for the part about being open minded. my point is that a "metaphysical" expöanation can be as "narrow minded", or more so, than a scientific. I just want to avoid jumping to conclusions. Because something feels like somthing, or give the impression of being in a certain way (out of body experiencies for example) dosn't mean these impressions are true.
    I'm far from taking a scientistic stance. Science at any given moment is limited in it's understanding. Science should not, and cannot, say anything about if there is a god or not etc. On the other side saying, to take your example, that what you take as being memories of a former life is realy memories of a former life can be as narrow minded as the die hard materialistic atheists standpoint. Human memory is much more fluent than most of us like to think. The brain sometimes do very strange things. I hope I' ve made my standpoint clear.

awakenedmachine and Vince like this.

2. Vince

Vince Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

I like the way this thread is going. I think I belong to both sides. I never experienced anything paranormal except on one occasion.
    So I believe that most, if not all paranormal experiences are psychological phenomenon, but I think they are very interesting nonetheless.

Studying these phenomenon shouldn't be all about dismissing them or ignoring them, because there might be things to learn. I believe it is very important to listen to what people have to say regarding these things.

Think of hypnosis, from an observer, the subject of hypnosis could be faking the whole thing right? There's no reason for the observer to believe it until he becomes the subject, and even then, not everyone is equal under hypnosis.

Hypnosis is currently used in the medical profession

We can turn some supernatural powers into super natural ones if we listen and learn.

Genesis and CaptHavoc like this.
  3. CaptHavoc

CaptHavoc Member Claimed IQ: 130+

About sums it up. We should keep an open mind in every direction. A friend of mine claims that the soviets did a lot of research into the "pranormal". The reason, he says, is that being materialistic as a result of ideology they saw everything as a natural phenomenon that could be subject to scientific research (don't know if that's true).
    That's one approach I like. On the other hand: we should. in my very humble opinion, alo take the possibility that their might be "spiritual" explanations to these things as well. Just to keep our minds open.
    On the third hand :) maybe the answer is a mix of these two views. I think you can trigger mystical experiences by stimulationg certain parts of the brain electromagneticaly. For some that settles the matter. Not for me. If we turn the thing around there is a possibility that a spiritual experience trigger activity in those parts of the brain as well. Perhaps it goes both ways? I don't know, just trying to see as many possibilities I can.

/Capt. Havoc

Vince likes this.
  4. joekitra

joekitra New Member Claimed IQ: 140+

Yes. Two. Many years ago.

At age 7 I was working on building a model car with a friend. I suddenly blurted out "don't paint it green. Not the right color". This sounds trivial until we both realized that he hadn't said a word. And I remember being, for a want of a better word, overwhelmed with the vision of my friend painting his model a sickly green. Which is exactly what he was thinking.

Age 15; shopping in a huge book store when I had had this certainty that a friend I hadn't seen in years was around. 5 minutes later I saw him walk in the front. I was in the back, had no view of the outside when I had this sensation.

On both occasions the feelings I experienced were, for want of a better word, weird . And intense, like an adrenaline rush.

One in a billion electromagnetic or quantum phenomena? Something else? No idea.

Vince likes this.
  5. Kegs

Kegs Active Member Unclaimed IQ

I'm bringing this topic back from the dead. *bada-bing* Get it? :D

Ok, but here's the thing, I just watched a fantastically creative hollywood production that was chalk full of supernatural material that made for tremendous (in my opinion) viewing pleasure. The title is Dr Strange (2016). Maybe you've seen it. If not, I highly recommend it. It's got some good lessons in it for sure (regarding arrogance with a heavy bias toward the rational, which ironcally, I found relevant to some of the discussions on this forum I just found through the search function). Moreover, it's entertaining.

Anyway, over my nearly 5 decades on this planet, I've come to the general consensus that rational explanations have to a great degree supported previous issues humanity was once ignorant and at times, confused by (until the rational explanation was discovered, of course).

That being the case, there are still a very many puzzling attributes allegedly unknown (or rather publicly unknown) that logic has not yet found a way to answer. I expect there will be very many breakthroughs in the future regarding these items, as change appears the only constant.

I am one of the minority that cast the vote on the poll that I have had a "paranormal experience", though I'm not so sure that's what I would call it. What I would call it is a visual (perceptual) phenomenon experience. Simply put, I saw a dim light travel through the air and I was not alone when I saw it, and the two of us were each stone cold sober when this occurred. It was one of the most unusual and unexplainable things I have ever seen in my life.

So it occurred to me that imagination (and dreams), however fantastical it might seem is real in the sense it can be defined (through communication), even though it might not have occurred or thought plausible to the rational mind to be able to occur.

At one time long prior to current technologies, Dick Tracy (fictional character from the 1940s) communicated using a watch.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/how-dick-tracy-invented-the-apple-watch

It had occured to me that it may be possible by some unknown (or perhaps not publicly known) method, to implement imagination.

The question I have is this:

Does rational evidence explain everything, or are there other methods beyond rationality that can explain or possibly even cause an event to occur?

I like to think about it along the lines of statistics; that just because the odds are very slim does not mean that the outcome is outside the realm of possibility. I once myself watched lightning strike a pole three separate times within a 5 minute window. People have won consecutive lotteries, etc. These items and many more are highly improbable, but..they occur. What is the rational explanation for an anomaly?

Food for the free thinkers!

ARLaBaere and Vince like this.
  6. Vince

Vince Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

7. Kegs

Vince, THANK YOU for that! It's an excellent link. Even though it still does not define what I mean, Jung was onto it for sure and that is very, very relative indeed.

8. TheGreat

TheGreat Active Member Claimed IQ: 130+

If this doesn't convince you, I don't know what will. :unsure:

9. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

I'm slightly confused, please help me out. Are you joking?

10. TheGreat

oh, you are not yet convinced in the existence of the supernatural? these "psychics" are pretty famous and are highly recommended to those who believe in the existence of "past lives", "ghost" .....basically paranormal stuffs.

11. Moloch

Ah, serious.

Err no, and that is due to lack of proper and credible evidence. All research done on mediums suggest they are engaging in fraudulent behaviour. In short, they are con artists.

Kegs and WheatieMuncher like this.
  12. TheGreat

:eek: wow, didn't know that until now. I mean, these psychics were able to denote past and current events in their clients' life. any scientific explanation for that? or they just did their research?

13. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

pretty famous ..
    highly recommended ..

in which world are those two attributes an indication for quality in times of social media? :D

E.g. cold reading.

14. TheGreat

seriously, i'm not trolling anyone. this is me being serious, they have appeared on countless shows and have claimed to have helped solve mystery cases.

You can look them up if you are curious.

15. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

I did not say that you were trolling anyone.
    I just wanted to point out that popularity and a recommendation are no good estimators of quality in my opinion.
    So to speak I wanted to use your post as an opportunity to point that out.

Sounds like the Tv show "bones" to me.

16. Kegs

I Lol'd @ those flighty twins, 15 seconds in and that was enough for me. I'm generally skeptical of such quacks, but remain open minded toward the potential of what Jung mentioned regarding the lines of Alice in wonderland noted on the link. from my perspective, that "memory forward" idea means planning from a predictive analysis which is data driven, but not necessarily to the requirement of statistically meaningful data.

17. Kegs

Many of the mediums are clever mentalists, and if you don't understand how they operate, it's easy to be fooled. John Edwards...perfect example.

18. AguirresPriest

AguirresPriest Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

What's the gist of the video? I can't watch it. :)

19. Moloch

Sure. Cold reading, research... hot reading... there's a lot of tricks, and I presume they know them all.

ARLaBaere and TheGreat like this.
  20. ARLaBaere

ARLaBaere Active Member Claimed IQ: 150+

I am a better writer than a speaker, and I rarely find the motivation to speak, and not upon the cosmic. The realization of learning and of unending confusion of unending panic is an extreme burden. While none of my studies have generated a paranormal experience, cosmic forces contribute in large part to my philosophy and writing. When I search for a reason to live, I find nothing, and must invent my own internal universe. Nightmarish surrealism is my primary mode of creation, and I crave tales of the unnatural. I believe that nearly all such experiences are entirely subjective.

Moloch likes this.