1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Political Correctness II

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Events' started by HLM, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

Once opon a time the anonymity of the internet granted that you can post your own opinion without the fear of being under the public eye. Politicall correctness was not required as the tone of the internet was rough
    since people did not care about protection as there were few trolls. The liberal dream of free speech.

In case this forum has a more limited setting and it's posting policies are similar to google (free speach as long as it is not controversial) then we should activly work on our tone and style.
    It must be possible to openly discuss such matters within this forum - where else?

Why do so many people WANT to live in an echo chamber?

Seriously if I could pick between listening to a guy just telling me what I want to hear about a topic or a guy who tells me his honest opinion eventhough some of his ideas may clash with mine ... that is not a bad thing you know?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    AguirresPriest likes this.

2. Vince

Vince Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

PC is not censorship nor it is propaganda, but it can be used as such. All I'm reading here is that PC is bad. So I beg to differ, I see two sides, but you may only see one.

3. Creedinger

I agree that PC is not censorship nor is it propaganda. My remark was only about your statement that controversial topics should not be discussed in public. This was the opinion, which we had in Europe for centuries - was a bad idea as in the end the opinions of the powerful were protected only and the opinions of the common people were not protected.

4. Vince

I didn't exactly say that, and I explained why. Some people might be more comfortable opening up in private and might participate more in some discussions. I remember having awesome political discussions with someone I knew, for hours on end. He was a fellow musician but never became a friend. We really had antagonistic political views, but surprisingly we never got angry once. I was floored because such discussions never end well with me.

On a different note, I want to make sure that my statement about people who would never get certified isn't misinterpreted as they "don't have the capacity" to be certified. I just remember some of you told me that you didn't want to get certified, so that's all I meant.

5. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

What would that leave us to discuss in the public sections of the Forum - pablum?! What's wrong w/discussing controversial matters? What, are we supposed to present some sort of united front, or are we not allowed to be a diverse group of people w/differing opinions on a wide variety of topics?
    I've yet to see where Ghost is particularly inclined toward censorship. From what I have seen, he allows freedom of speech so long as common decency is observed - one of the best features of the Forum!

WheatieMuncher likes this.
  6. Creedinger

The entire term politically correct is a distraction in my opinion. Just don't use discriminatory language and show respect for the other person as a human being with feelings and desires as yourself.

I know this is hard to understand for some but in case not everyone would just think about their own advantage and desires one could include the desires and power of other people to find a common goal.
    Eventhough I compete with people from India I see no need in putting them down as people (in contrast to a lot of other people, who in reality are just too afraid to tell that they might take their jobs in the future :D )

7. Vince

Honestly Mark this is getting old now. Nowhere in my post did I call for censorship or suggested there was something wrong with discussing controversial matters in public. I was just explaining why some people in certain circumstances will be more politically correct.

You want to initiate a debate? Then start with something I actually said, so please quote each point, and by all means don't read my posts between the lines.

As you know, the private section is rather empty, so it's not like the few active certified members will flock there because I suggested some matters could be discussed privately.
    Your freedom of expression is by no means threatened by what I said, the public section is not going anywhere.

8. marom

Actually, you're asking me to read between the lines, given that I was responding to this -
    "As a matter of fact, I believe controversial matters should be posted in the private part of the forum so there's a bit less of the public eye to influence the way ones makes their statements." Where is there a mention of some people, under certain circumstances? - unless you mean the second clause of your sentence, which is, you must admit, awkwardly constructed and somewhat unclear ... I'm very touchy when it comes to censorship, so, if I've taken you wrong, I apologize.

9. Vince

The purpose of my post was to try to explain why some people could resort to PC other than for lies and deceit. This was at the beginning of the post. Some people prefer to be politically correct not necessarily because they are afraid of what the rest of the group will think, but because they don't want what they say to be misused in order to alienate another group. Henri II never intented to get Becket killed, but the former kept running his mouth and people took him to his word.
    I personally don't want to get involved in discussions over inferiority or superiority within human beings for example, not because I don't believe there are differences, but because I don't want what I say being used to confirm some ideologies.
    However I have no problems in private, because I know who I'm talking to. I can't be the only one to think this way, so I suggested that privacy in discussions could lift the veil of political correctness, including on this forum.

10. Creedinger

This is why freedom is important. To me, this post seems from nazi Germany tbh.

Its sad that you have to think that way.

11. HLM

HLM Active Member Claimed IQ: 150+

Named a global top thinker by Foreign Policy and Prospect magazines, NYU social psychologist Jonathan Haidt discusses the Damore memo

https://heterodoxacademy.org/2017/0...es-the-research-say-about-gender-differences/

"Our verdict on Damore’s memo: Damore is correct that there are 'population level differences in distributions' of traits that are likely to be relevant for understanding gender gaps at Google. Even if we set aside all questions about the origins of these differences, the fact remains that there are gender differences in a variety of traits, and especially in interest/enjoyment (rather than ability) in the adult population from which Google and all other tech firms recruit."

Contrast and compare Haidt's analysis with what has been broadcast through the mainstream media (I am tempted to say "fake news" but that might incorrectly imply Trump support).

Addendum:
    The Atlantic: The Most Common Error in the Media Coverage of the Memo

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-error-in-coverage-of-the-google-memo/536181/

"To me, the Google memo is an outlier—I cannot remember the last time so many outlets and observers mischaracterized so many aspects of a text everyone possessed."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM
  12. Vince

I've been called lots of things, but considering Germans killed some of my family members during 2 wars there's lots of things I could say back to you.

13. Vince

Finally, as @marom said so nicely to someone else in another thread I'm going to take my toys and go home for some time.

Being misunderstood is one thing, but coming across as the opposite of who I am makes me realize that I am also wasting my time.

I come from a multi racial family and everyone has free speech, however for some of them that aren't lucky enough to look Caucasian like me, their free speech isn't heard because they are outnumbered.

14. Creedinger

Mhhh ok, nazi comparisons are never a good idea. Sorry to hear that.

15. marom

Now, now - I know how it feels to have more than one person against your opinion: it's unpleasant, to say the least. However, if you really believe as you believe, it's your duty to yourself to stand by your beliefs ... By the by, I wasn't the one going home w/his toys. I never do that. I'm too stubborn by nature.
    I would much rather that you stick around than leave.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member Unclaimed IQ

Hi Vince. You are not wasting your time. Dont leave the forum..although...I think you meant halting your posts on this topic.

17. KimchiNinja

KimchiNinja Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Postmodernism is a biological weapon that eats the citizen's minds, and if you lose control of it (spreads across your society past some threshold), it's game over.

I've been studying this a lot, the nihilist psychology behind this movement, and how it is employed by the media corporations, universities, and Democratic party. Honestly I think it's game over for America. The big twist is that an unholy marriage has taken place between postmodernism and corporatism. Either one of these will rip your society to shreds, but both of them together...welcome to the counter-enlightnement, and 21st century corporate fascism.

My forecast is for decades of tribal war (the whole point of identity politics is to herd the masses into "identity boxes" and then stir up tribalism, divide and conquer) while the corporations continue to maximize profits. PM is used by corporations as a way to silence the thinkers, scientists, and revolutionaries (which tend to be men). I think America will be tied up in this cycle for maybe the rest of this century...there are no moves out that I can see.

Postmodernism = political correctness + identity politics + affirmative action + feminism + safe spaces + "hate speech" + etc. Never ending births of anti-intellectual nonsense, it moves aggressively outward in all directions, eliminating "knowns" all the way back to the enlightenment, and back further to the ancient greeks and logic itself.

Joe likes this.