1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading...

Discussion in 'Books and Writing' started by Joe, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member Unclaimed IQ

What methods have you used to increase reading comprehension, speed, reading span, etc.?

I have an average reading speed of 200 wpm with a reading comprehension of 90%+. Granted, I have read less than 20 books in my life, but I would like to increase these numbers. Of course these numbers are variable to content difficulty, my interest in the subject matter, how I feel that day, etc.

If you have never tested your reading speed/comprehension: http://www.readingsoft.com/index.html

2. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

723 wpm on the screen... and I scored 100% on the test. Unfortunately, I do not have much in the way of advice... I read roughly 1000 pages a week for about a decade... all I can say is "practice, practice, practice". I'd suggest you start reading for fun.... and that means you'll have to see if there is a subject you like, and read about that.

Genesis and Joe like this.
  3. Nico

Nico Active Member IQ: 140+

I did the test and had a reading speed of 438 wpm with a reading comprehension of 100%. Normally, I do not read this fast, but I can if I want to. What I have to say is that some answers in the comprehension test were obvious, my reading comprehension would be more between 80% and 90%. On the other hand, I think if the test would be in German I would be able to read faster and have a better reading comprehension.

I did never try to increase my reading consciously, but I often do not really read the things. I just look at the whole text and try to get some information out without actually reading it word for word. This is not that much different from speed reading I guess. To increase your speed I think you have to try to read fast, if you are just reading like always you will not get any faster. This happens automatically to me, if I am reading something that is interesting to me.

Moloch and Joe like this.
  4. Genesis

Genesis Active Member Claimed IQ: 150+

Joe gave some good advice, above -- find something you enjoy reading and practice.

I hate to read. When I was in kindergarten (5 years old), we were supposed to learn how to read in Reading classes. I'm telling you, reading "See Jane run... See Dick run... See Jane and Dick run" day in and day out might have been my first official near-break between insanity and genius! At one point (before going stark-raving mad and screaming), I made the bold move of walking over to the encyclopedias (in the middle of class) and ran my fingers across their bindings. That was my way of suggesting she PLEASE read something more interesting, because I was too shy to simply ask (nor did I know I could ask). That went on for three days, and each day, the teacher asked, told, and scolded me to sit down and pay attention. She was so mad on that third day, I had to stop hinting. But, on that third day, as I sat down after being scolded, I thought, "I really hate you! Now, I really hate reading!" And I did. I hated reading ever since (well, until very recently). (I did like the teacher, though. I still think back on her as one of my favorites.)

Anyhow, that's why I think it's important to read about things you love, esp. when you are "starting" to read or wanting to improve your reading skills.

Now, I enjoy reading articles on the Net when I am interested in the subjects... now that I have time to read and be interested in something other than working & paying the rent. ;) Often, news articles mention something I'm interested in (a historical person, place, culture, etc.) and I do a search for it. Those search results (articles) usually mention other persons, places, etc., that leads me to read more.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Moloch likes this.