1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sleep depravity and I.Q.

Discussion in 'Psychology and Sociology' started by Kegs, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Kegs

Kegs Active Member Unclaimed IQ

Does not getting enough sleep decrease your intelligence?

I think it certainly does.

I feel most rested with 7 hours. Lately I've had 6 on the best night of the last month and I have not been at my best.

I may have to really put the brakes on in my head.

How do you deal with it?

Vince likes this.

2. Hapax

Hapax Active Member Claimed IQ: 130+

That depends on your definition of intelligence. Most define it as a latent variable, so that your "real" intelligence never changes (except for if you suffer from brain injury, for example). It is quite likely that not getting enough sleep influences your performance on tasks that require intelligence, but you can explain this by pointing out that these kind of tests also require attention, which is obviously affected by how much you've slept.
    Tip: if you've got a digital clock or something else in your bedroom that displays the time, you can turn it around so you don't actually see what time it is. In this way, if you've got trouble falling asleep, you won't be constantly looking at the clock and worrying it's already way too late and that you'll feel tired the next day. Also, if you wake up at night, you won't be able to see what time it is and for how long you're lying awake.
    Believing you've had enough sleep might work as well as (or even better than) actually having had enough sleep :)

Kegs likes this.
  3. Kegs

Good point and thanks for the tip.

In this case, I mean intelligence to be limited to taking an IQ test and how the outcome maybe affected by sleep depravity.

Hapax likes this.
  4. Hapax

Hapax Active Member Claimed IQ: 130+

:thumbsup:
    That's one of the problems with IQ tests (and other tests for that matter) : the result depends partly on when you take it. Sometimes you get lucky and are able to attain a higher score than you'd normally get, other times you suffer from sleep deprivation and you get a lower score. The end result is usually corrected to account for these interfering factors, but it's still difficult to tell what you're "actual" IQ score is.

Kegs likes this.
  5. Solaire

Solaire Active Member IQ: 140+

I wouldn't say it decreases intelligence, though it might definitely decrease your ability to put your intelligence to use by lacking the ability to concentrate or lack of energy.

I did notice a severe lack of ability to put intelligence to use when suffering from PTSD, as this made me unable to focus on anything by the dissociation that comes with it when triggered, especially when it bundles with derealization which in turn makes you extremely anxious if you're not aware of what is happening to you, which is in turn made worse by the hypervigilance and physically and emotionally drains you down to the point where you're rarely alive. I'm pretty confident dissociation is related to sleep deprivation as well, but it depends on many factors and it doesn't get anywhere near the same effects that I have experienced with PTSD.

I sleep approximately 5-6 hours per night, sometimes more, sometimes less and sometimes I don't even sleep at night. I do not notice any differences in my ability to make use of my intelligence, my brain keeps on racing.

Mohsin, Kegs and TheGreat like this.
  6. TheGreat

TheGreat Member Claimed IQ: 130+

Solaire already said all I wanted to say. :)

7. Mohsin

Mohsin Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

I don't think sleep deprivation decreases intelligence itself but rather decreases the ability to exploit it fully. Intelligence exists as 'potential', which may or may not be taken advantage of. During the past 6 months I have been sleeping less than 6 hours a day and I was definitely operating with reduced cognition. This is something that becomes apparent when comparing performance before and after receiving a sufficient amount of sleep. The difference can be staggering.

Kegs likes this.
  8. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

"Depravity" is an absence of morals ... I think you mean "deprivation" ... Sleep deprivation does not reduce intelligence but ability to function at one's best - whether mentally or physically. A sleep deprived athlete would not do so well, either.

Mohsin, Moloch, Genesis and 2 others like this.
  9. Kegs

Yes, thank you for the correction.

Mohsin likes this.
  10. Vince

Vince Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

11. Vince

Vince Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Here's an example of sleep depravity
    [​IMG]

12. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

Perhaps Kegs was so kind as to subconsciously provide the reason for his sleep deprivation... :ROFLMAO:

13. Kegs

Actually people, it's partially this Samsung "autocorrect" and partially my laziness. I would go to type in "deprivation" and it would keep autocorrect in (<---that's an example right there) depravity, and since I am so tired of having to correct this misguided spelling correction system, the truth is I actually AM telling. ha ha.

I practically do look like that guy on the sofa (after all the times I have had to deal with this damned thing inserting incorrect words)

My first experience with autocorrect was with iOS, and that seemed to work very well. I suspect Samsung tried to copy it, but couldn't make it exactly the same (patents/copywries?) and so basically, their version misspells words and guesses incorrectly about which word to install about equally correct and incorrect.

So I let the AI win, without even considering the difference in definitions. Marom is the first to point it out and I'm glad for it. as I figured, most knew what I meant, even though this is a really deficient way to communicate.

Sorry about this. It's kind of fun though. lol

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Genesis likes this.
  14. Kegs

15. Solaire

Kegs likes this.
  16. Kegs

Ok, for the record, I have turned that annoying thing off. Any mistakes from here on out are my own. The world is a slightly better place today.

17. Kegs

Ha ha ha, no joke! This thing is seriously psycho, just as that link suggested. It would capitalize incorrectly, change the grammar, come up with nutty text, insert jibberish when a word would be spelled correctly, capitalize the first letter of every word in a sentence and many more items of this nature. I only tolerated it because about half the time it would correct words I did misspell accurately. Now that it's off, it will be interesting to experience the difference.

Solaire likes this.
  18. Solaire

Have a look at SwiftKey ;).

19. Kegs

I've heard about it. Going to give it a try now.

On second thought, I'll pass as I just read the privacy agreement. I've decided I'm going to go fully organic now and write independent of any assistance with the goal to simply become a more efficient phone tapper the 'natural' way :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017