1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The art of cooking

Discussion in 'Arts and Culture' started by Nico, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:48 PM.

Tags:
?

Is cooking an art form?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nico

Nico Active Member IQ: 140+

I just came back from my holidays in Barcelona. On Wednesday we ate in a restaurant awarded with two Michelin stars. It was the most delicious food I have ever eaten! It was a 13 course menu and each menu represented a movie. The presentation of the food told a story, looked beautiful and was done in a very creative way. For this reason, I do not doubt that cooking on a high level is clearly some kind of visual art form because visual arts are not limited to painting in my opinion.

In addition to this I would also consider cooking an art form, even if you let the whole presentation thing aside. If you think about it, paintings are pleasing to the sense of seeing and music is pleasing to the sense of hearing. Cooking with the goal to please your sense of tasting is therefore also an art form.

What are your thoughts?

Cornucopia likes this.

2. Cornucopia

Cornucopia Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

3. DutchJess

DutchJess New Member Claimed IQ: 150+

I agree. It can be art in multiple ways. But this is the only 'art form' focussed on our sense of taste, which is pretty interesting. Additionally, studies on how visual presentation and smell influence the sense of taste is quite fascinating, if you ask me.

Nico likes this.
  4. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

Cooking can be an art form, depending upon who is doing the cooking. Usually, though, it's merely a way to unlock calories for easier digestion - in other words, it's a way to "pre-digest" food, thus increasing its nutritional value.
    I, myself, have a preference for what is called "plain cooking" - that is, food that is not elaborately prepared w/sauces and gravies being made from the drippings of the meat. I'm not a fan of haute cuisine, as I see it as an unnecessary elaboration that takes away from the ingredients themselves to focus on the putative skills of the cook. I've had several chances to eat in fancy restaurants and have found myself annoyed by the overly attentive service; for instance, it was impossible to empty a glass of water before the glass was refilled; besides, I did not like having wait-staff hovering around me all through the meal. Nope - sit the food on the table and get lost. I suppose that my blue-collar origins show in my not being comfortable w/hand-and-foot service. At any rate, I'd rather have a simple roast w/potatoes and vegetables than a plateful of gourmet glop, covered in a sauce made from ingredients that cost $200 an ounce.
    EDIT ... I suppose that cooking could be considered a form of performance art ...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 4:39 AM
    Cornucopia likes this.
  5. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

Food is definatly very cultural a central element of something being classified as art is - we all know the problem with defining art - that art tries to communicate a message or idea.
    What could be a message or communication transposed through art? One example might be the Pizza Margherita for which the creation story goes something along those lines:

The ruler wanted to have a pizza to some national event celebrating some majorly important stuff, which has happened to the nation (unification or something - idk). The cook created the pizza from
    very simple ingredients representing the flag and named the pizza after the rulers wife since he thought she would be a good posterboy for the upcoming time.

6. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

My father's family came from Italy; my mother's family came from England. So, I grew up eating two very different cuisines. Even so, it was not until I reached maturity that I realized how unusual it was to have a diet that was made up of primarily Italian and English recipes.
    My mother - being old-fashioned - of course took it as a duty to learn how to cook for my father, so she learned the full battery of Neapolitan cuisine. My father went on getting his bean soups and pasta and fish and sausages and his salads and his garlic flavored vegetables. But he also liked the English recipes that regularly made it onto our table - the roasts, the meat pies, the stews, the fish and chips, etc. When I was a kid, I thought that everyone ate like that. What, you don't make your own spaghetti sauce? But why?! It's so easy!
    Of course, like most east coast Italian-Americans, we called the sauce "gravy" - and there was always that special pot of gravy, the "Sunday Gravy," that took hours to prepare. Loaded w/meat and sausage, the Sunday Gravy spent hours on the stove top, slowly cooking, so that it would be ready just in time for Sunday Dinner - about 4 PM. 10 hours on the stove, reduced to a thick ragu. The meat would slide right off the bones.
    To this day, I prefer Italian and English cooking to all other types of cooking. And, yes, the English do have a cuisine, and it's quite tasty in the right hands.

Genesis, AguirresPriest, Nico and 2 others like this.