1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight Lifting

Discussion in 'Other' started by Joe, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member Unclaimed IQ

@Preacherbob any routines/diets you like? My goal is to get stronger, get in better shape and build some muscle.

2. Preacherbob

Preacherbob Well-Known Member Unclaimed IQ

Diet I like? Ouch! This might hurt a little at first.
    6-8 small meals a day for starters. My most important two are before a training period and the one directly after that period. High protein and carbs before and a whole plethora of after muscle shock food afterward with only a few carbs.
    I prefer to use predigested materials such as is found in most whey protein mixes before training due to the fact that I wish to have as much blood going to my muscles rather than hanging around the stomach area waiting for solids to digest. It depends on how hard you are going to train as to how many carbs you use. I normally have a banana with my protein mix because I need the extra energy to maintain a good metabolic rate.

Stay away from starches and heavy fats but do employ good fats (fatty acids) that are full of Omega 3's like those found in salmon and even avocados. Obviously bread is a no-no but that said I enjoy a product called "Dave's Killer Bread".

Whether I am employing resistance training looking for hypertrophy or throwing around the plates for strength there are a few rules of thumb that I use regarding diet:
    1. For every 5 grams of carbs there must be at least 1 gram of fiber to complete a proper ratio. 5 to 2 or even 3 is better but 5 to 1 is the minimum.
    2. I take in throughout the day a minimum of 230 grams of protein and a maximum of 240. I generally start with 60 grams before training. The ratio should be 1 gram for every pound of lean weight.
    3. Branch Chain Amino acids are invaluable. They are not protein but are the building blocks for protein. There are a lot of prepackaged products with different ratios of L-Leucine, L-Valine and L-Isoleucine but I prefer a 3-2-1 ratio and take in 1 gram for every 3 pounds of lean weight.
    4. Do not be afraid to eat directly before bed but do be careful of WHAT you eat. I want to keep a balance of metabolism going throughout the day and night with no crash hence 6-8 small meals. The before bed meal is always something with casein protein in it such as cottage cheese. Casein protein does not metabolize as quickly as other proteins and very little will allow the body to keep repairing muscles throughout the night. One of the noticeable results is a higher degree of recovery and an absence of morning hunger.

All else having to do with diet is to employ common sense. i.e. Mashed potatoes are great for those who lack body mass but lousy for those who wish to burn fat. Stay away from anything that turns to unwanted sugar including sugar itself.

Hope that part helps out @Joe. Maybe someone else might have a few suggestions for indeed, there are no set absolute rules because each person is totally different than another.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Joe likes this.