1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books and Writing' started by propianotuner, Oct 27, 2015.

1. marom

marom Well-Known Member Claimed IQ: 140+

I've read all of Foucault's books. I did find him fascinating but not a particularly difficult read. His careful attention to history impressed me.

Mohsin likes this.

2. MotleyNoumenon

MotleyNoumenon Active Member IQ: 140+

At the moment i am reading "Ada or Ardor" by Vladimir Nobakov. Anyone that have finished it? What is your impression?

3. marom

Theodore Mommsen's "History of Rome," volume one of three.

4. conrad

conrad Member Unclaimed IQ

Several are towering on my nightstand, and I'm usually book-switching, a bad habit, but at the moment I'm focussed enough to concentrate on Yuval Noah Harari "Sapiens - une brève histoire de l'humanité" (Sapiens - a brief history of humankind). Another one is one my list, hope I will commence it eventually, and not be distracted by another one: Richard David Precht 'Erkenne die Welt - eine Geschichte der Philosophie' (Understand the world - a history of philosophy).

5. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

Ate my way through Simon Tolkien's No Man's Land today... And I really enjoyed it. What a book.

6. bitcoinmonster

bitcoinmonster Active Member Claimed IQ: 130+

The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov.

7. Hapax

Hapax Active Member IQ: 130+

Just finished 1984 by George Orwell.

8. Mohsin

Mohsin Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Ah, my favorite book :)
    Did part 3 terrify you?

Hapax likes this.
  9. Hapax

Hapax Active Member IQ: 130+

It made me doubt my own sense of reality and truth more than once :eek: I already knew these concepts were quite subjective, but this took it all to a whole new level.
    I'm quite interested in utopias lately, so I figured it might be nice to start by reading a book about a dystopia.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Mohsin likes this.
  10. bitcoinmonster

bitcoinmonster Active Member Claimed IQ: 130+

Have you folks read The Road to Wigan Pier?

11. Moloch

I was bored after lunch and picked up one of Mrs Moloch's books by Dick Swaab: 'We are our brain'. I read about 300 pages, got bored again and skimmed the parts I found most interesting. A good read for those who aren't that knowledgable about brains.

Hapax likes this.
  12. Moloch

..aaahand whilst waiting on the lasagna finally finished 'The computer and the brain' by John von Neumann. What a book. I heartily reccomend it to those who are interested in the field described by the title.

13. MotleyNoumenon

MotleyNoumenon Active Member IQ: 140+

Can @Moloch consume lasagne?

Moloch likes this.
  14. DutchJess

DutchJess New Member Claimed IQ: 150+

The complete adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

The main reason I keep picking it up again is the original old English (not thaaaat old) it is written in, makes me fall in love with the beauty of language. It also helps that I lived near Baker Street for the last three years so my imagination can run wild :)

Hapax likes this.
  15. marom

You might want to try "Brave New World" by Huxley.

Hapax likes this.
  16. marom

Oh, how nice! I've been to that part of London; it's called Marylebone, isn't it? At any rate it's not too far north of Hyde Park, if I recall ... Isn't #221 B Baker Street actually part of a bank building? I remember reading in one of my Holmes fanzines that the bank employed a secretary to deal w/Sherlock's mail! ... I've been to London several times, lovely city, enjoyed it very much.
    If you like well-written English prose, you might want to try Evelyn Waugh or Pearl S Buck or P G Wodehouse. They wrote beautifully.

17. marom

I'm reading "An Introduction to the Philosophy of Mathematics" by Bertrand Russell.
    Russell is one of my mathematical idols. Like Russell, I believe that mathematics and logic are (nearly) identical, which, of course, means that I am philosophically opposed to the mathematical formalists and intuitionists.

MotleyNoumenon likes this.
  18. Moloch

I've just finished 'This is me, Jack Vance' by Jack Vance. Vance saved much of my youth and was a point of light in my dreary existance, and I have a rather large collection of his books. My favorite versions are old, scruffy looking pocketbooks with fantastic and oft artistic depictions of things not related at all or only remotely to the contents of the books intended only to evoke an atmosphere of wonder. Ah, Vance, a wondrous man who lived a life worth living, travelled half the planet whilst writing science fiction and eating local cuisine, the quality of which is a matter of some discussion in his books. He demonstrates, at the time of dictating the book, to have a very well functioning memory and never makes a big drama out of anything. It is an excellent autobiography and worth a read.

19. KimchiNinja

KimchiNinja Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

Off topic, what happened to that Pianotuner guy?? :unsure:

I haven't seen posts from him, but then I haven't been around here much.

20. Moloch

I think he was moving.... we spotted him once or twice but that's about it. I do miss him..

AguirresPriest and KimchiNinja like this.