1. Why don't you Sign Up? It's free and doesn't require anything special.
    We are a friendly community and you might be much smarter than you think.
    Don't just look at us. We need YOUR help. Let's build together the next big High IQ Society.
Dismiss Notice
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wine glasses making a fizzing sound

Discussion in 'Science and Health' started by Cornucopia, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Cornucopia

Cornucopia Well-Known Member IQ: 140+

So I just washed some wine glasses and put them upside down to dry on the kitchen island and after a short while they started making this fizzling sound. There are small bubbles appearing in the pools of water under the glasses.

I was wondering what could be the cause of this?
    The things I could think of is:
    1) Are the glasses/surface contaminated with some sort of baking powder?
    2) A decrease in pressure within the glasses creating some sort of inward movement of air?

Genesis likes this.

2. Moloch

Moloch Well-Known Member IQ: Over 150

I'm guessing the second. If you wash in hot water the glasses get hot. Take the glass out and put it upside down -> the air inside the glasses gets heated and expands. This air gets pushed out (bubbles). Air cools down, pressure decreases, bubbles on the inside.

Cornucopia and Genesis like this.
  3. Genesis

Genesis Active Member Claimed IQ: 150+

My first guess would be what Moloch said -- heat builds up and the pressure is released through the water pooled on the counter.

Moloch likes this.
  4. Genesis

Genesis Active Member Claimed IQ: 150+

I am wondering how many IQers are washing glasses, flipping them on counters, and waiting for them to fizz, so they can make their assessments. :ROFLMAO:

:thumbsup:

5. Cornucopia

You're right of course. Bubbles on the outside, then on the inside. It had me confused for a while! :)

Moloch likes this.
  6. Creedinger

Creedinger Well-Known Member IQ: 120+

It would be interesting to see if this depends on the thickness of the glass.

7. Cornucopia

Personally I'd like to apply the principle on something else. It's a nice quirky alternative to the steam boilers in terms of converting heat into kinetic energy.